Of Some Of The Tools We Choose Server Performance Monitoring Using Nagios
Nagios is "industry standard in IT infrastructure monitoring". at least that's what it says on their website. Nagios is indeed a bit complicated to install and configure, but the wealth of features unmatched by the tool on the market and intended for a network administrator who experienced IT. Nagios support monitoring multiple hosts and can send alert via email, pager (if you still use ancient technology) or SMS/text messages. Such as Monit, can also be configured to automatically to respond to the problem. Nagios open source in nature and have the utility of bandwidth. Application of network monitoring based open source has advantages, namely:
- Free, his ability is not much different with paid apps
- Soerce code is distributed freely to the public so as to continue to undergo development and improvement.
Nagios has a default alert to elements that are monitored so as to enable the existence of a repair before the crash on the system. Simple plugin design is also so the user is easier to check out the services provided.
With nagios lets an organization can identify and resolve the problem before the problem the IT infrastructure being fatal and affects business processes.
Ability of Nagios
- To monitor hosts and services has been established,
- Give a warning if things deteriorate and tell when the situation improves.
- Fix the problems that are detected automatically,
- Infrastructure Upgrades before outdated (obsolete system) causes a failure,
- Response to the problem of early signs of problems,
- Coordinate response technical team
- Monitor network service such as SNMP, POP3, HTTP, NNTP, PING, etc.
- Monitoring of host resources such as processor load, disk usage, etc.
- Defining the events that were handled during the ongoing servicing to simplify troubleshooting.
- Ensure SLA (Service Level Agreement) are met
- Monitor the entire IT infrastructure to ensure systems, applications, services function properly
- Nagios can be run on Linux/Unix, and C compilers
- Use a TCP/IP network
Workings Of Nagios
Now we'll see how Nagios works, let's look at the following:
The IT staff to configure nagios to monitor components of the IT infrastructure that are important include the metric system, network protocols, applications, services, servers, and network infrastructure.
When critical infrastructure components fail, nagios to send warnings and restore it, give notice to the administrator towards the important events. The alarm can be delivered via email, SMS, or special scripts.
The IT staff answering an alarm, and begin to solve the problem and investigating the security alarm as soon as possible.
Report, provide the records or history about outages, events, notifications, and alarms response for the purposes of the inspection. The existence of the report help satisfy SLA (Service Level Agreement).
Scheduled downtime during maintenance alarm prevents a scheduled and upgrading windows.
Trends and capacity planning graphs and reports allow the user to identify the necessary infrastructure upgrades before the failure occurs.