KeePassX is a tool that helps you store and manage your various passwords in an encrypted database files. This file is also encrypted to the key you created. KeePassX can also create a strong password for your account.
Because this database is encrypted, you can save a copy in many different places, which makes the backup storage becomes quite easy. We do not recommend to submit your database by email or save it online where it is easily accessible by others, but many users have KeePassX saves one copy of the database on their main computer, a single copy on a USB memory device, and one copy on a backup disk.
In the following sections, you will learn to:
- Create a database password and assign key
- Save your password database is newly created
- Create a random password for a particular account or service
- Extracting passwords from KeePassX on when you need it
- Replace your primary key
Things you need to know about KeePassX
If you are using KeePassX consistently for a particular account or password, you may not need to remember the password at all. In fact, you don't need to see it. You simply copy it from the screen and paste it to KeePassX login or password. (KeePassX will remove it from the Clipboard's memory when you are done.) In addition, a random password is generated by KeePassX is generally much stronger than a password that we created yourself.
Other tools like KeePassX
KeePassX is available for GNU Linux, Windows and Mac OS x. other similar Tools include:
- KeePassDroid: free and open-source software for Android. Its data base format compatible with KeePassX.
- MiniKeePass: free and open-source software for the iPhone. Its data base format compatible with KeePassX.
- KeePass: free and open-source software for Windows and GNU/Linux. Its data base format compatible with KeePassX.
- 1Password: the commercial products available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, iPhone and iPad.