Linux distro (an abbreviation of Linux distribution) is a term for computer operating systems and applications, is a family of Unix that uses the Linux kernel. Linux distributions can either be free software and can also be either commercial software such as Red Hat, SuSE, and others.
The kernel is the part of a Software which provides a layer between the Hardware with Software that are currently active or more precisely a bridge between Software and Hardware. In the computer world, the term always leads to the term Linux Kernel Linus Torvald, written in the early 1990 's. All parts of the Linux distribution KDE windows manager, the Bash shell, web browser, X servers, and others are simply Software that runs on Linux.
There are many distribution or Linux distros have appeared. Some survive and large, even to produce derivative distributions, such as Debian GNU/Linux Distributions. This distro has generated dozens of distros, including Ubuntu, Xandros, Knoppix, DSL, etc.
1. Ubuntu - definition is "a word of Afrikaans meaning ' humanity to everything ' or ' I was formed by all of us '. The Ubuntu distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world. " Ubuntu is one of the Linux distribution based on Debian and the desktop interface has. Project Ubuntu is sponsored by Canonical Ltd (company belonging to Mark Shuttleworth).
The Ubuntu name taken from the name of a concept of ideology in South Africa. "Ubuntu" is an ancient African languages come from, which means "sense of perikemanusian against fellow human beings". Ubuntu can also mean "I am who I am because of the presence of all of us". The aim of the Ubuntu Linux distribution brings the spirit of is contained in the Ubuntu into the world of software.
Ubuntu is a complete Linux-based operating system, freely available and has support from the community as well as professional experts. Ubuntu's own developed by volunteer community Ubuntu.
2. PCLinuxOS - pretty self-explanatory, this name comes from PC + Linux + Operating System. PCLinuxOS has a GUI similar to Windows to make it easier to transition users to Linux. They therefore use the word PC (though not exclusive for Windows PC).
3. openSUSE - is an open source SUSE project sponsored by Novell and AMD. SUSE is an acronym in the language of Germany for "Software-und System-Entwicklung" (development of system and software). But there are also saying that the name of SUSE used to honor engineer Konrad Zuse. formerly known as SUSE Linux openSUSE and SuSE Linux Professional.
SUSE Linux is one of the major Linux distributions are made in Germany. The original SUSE Linux is the translation in the language of Germany from Slackware. The company is now owned by the Novel, Inc. S.u.S. E is an abbreviation of the phrase in the language of Germany "Software-und System-Entwicklung" ("software and system development"), but there is unofficial information that says S.u.S. E is connected to the computer scientist Konrad Zuse Germany.
4. Turbo Linux is one of the Linux distributions that are sought after by companies and individuals in Japan and Asia. Linux-based products with high performance functions to workstations and server markets mainly for the use of clustering and the orientation to the company. Some of its products: TurboLinux Workstation to desktops, TurboLinux Server for backend server with high performance primarily for business use in companies, e-commerce and transactions are B2B (Business-to-Business).
5. Fedora - Linux community is a project sponsored by Red Hat. The name "Fedora" is taken from a type of hat (fedora) worn by the guy in the Red Hat logo. Fedora (formerly known as Fedora Core, sometimes called also with Fedora Linux) is a Linux-based distro RPM and yum, developed by the Fedora Project is supported by a community of programmers and sponsored by Red Hat. The name of Fedora derives from fedora characters used in Red Hat's logo. On release 1 to 6 of this distro called Fedora Core which then turns into a Fedora release 7.
6. Mandriva - Linux distribution comes from Mandrake Linux created by MandrakeSoft, MandrakeSoft lost to Hearst Corporation in the right to use the name "Mandrake." Mandrakesoft Connectiva, and then buy the results of mixing is called Mandriva. Mandriva Linux (formerly Mandrake Linux) is an operating system created by Mandriva (formerly known as Mandrakesoft).
Mandriva Linux uses a RPM Package Manager Linux-Mandrake is one of the distros derived from Red Hat Linux application development and provides a lot of ' pre-configured ' and supported many languages around the world. These distributions are known it is easy for beginners and suitable for desktop class but did not close the possibility to be used as a platform on the server. Optimization for the Pentium class processors up to make Linux-Mandrake can run well on the platform.
7. Sabayon - a distribution made in Trentino-Italy and named following the name of a dessert called Italy Sabayon. Sabayon is made of egg yolks, sugar and alcohol.
8. Debian - Ian Murdock was first introduced in 1998. Debian's own name is taken from the name of his girlfriend (now wife) Debra and his name is Ian. Debian is an operating system based on the Linux kernel. Debian is one of the free Linux operating system to be used with the GNU license. Debian GNU/Linux is a non commercial distro produced by volunteers from all over the world are working together through the Internet. This distro wants the presence of the spirit of the open-source should remain on Debian.
Dynamics of this distro to make each release packets to be updated any time and can be accessed via the apt-get utility. Apt-get is a command-line utility that can be used dynamically to upgrade Debian GNU/Linux system via apt-repository of Debian archive network. Debian mailing lists and forums are always full of good messages about bugs, problems, sharing, etc.
With the existence of a system of communication of bugs and security issues in each package can be reported by Debian developers and users quickly. Debian is kernel independent ', i.e. the operating system Debian developed pure without basing on the existing operating system. Advantages of Debian is the upgradability, the dependency between the package well defined, and the development of his openly.
9. Damn Small Linux (DSL) - true to its name. Damn Small Linux (DSL) is a mini linux distro/Variant. Called the mini because DSL package just 50 MB size. DSL also allows to install in USB 128 MB.
10. MEPIS - According to the MEPIS creator Warren Woodford, MEPIS MEPIS doesn't mean anything, he just heard his friend who speaks through a bad Skype connection, and liked the name.