Linux (pronounced ˈ lɪnəks ˈ or lɪnʊks) is the name given to Unix-like computer operating systems. Linux is just one example of the results of the development of free software and open source. Like free software and other open source in General, Linux source code can be modified, used and redistributed freely by anyone.
The name "Linux" comes from the name of the maker, introduced in 1991 by Linus Torvalds. System, system equipment and its libraries are generally derived from the GNU operating system, which was announced in 1983 by Richard Stallman. The GNU contribution is the basis for the emergence of alternative name GNU/Linux. sepertiIntel famous computer company, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Novell, Oracle Linux has long been known for its use in servers, and supported by the company le Corporation, Red Hat, and Sun Microsystems.
Linux operating system is the operating system where users can use his free or opensource, these operating systems can be used for educational purposes. Understanding linux is a free open source operating system which is free to the public under the GNU license. so were allowed to install on the computer or to copy and distribute it without having to pay.
Linux is a derivative of unix and can work on a wide variety of computer hardware ranging from inter x 86 up to RISC. With the GNU (Gnu's Not Unix) can obtain the programme, complete with source code (source code). Not only that, given the right to copy as much as possible, or even change the source code. And it is all legal under license. Although free, GNU license allows a party who wants to withdraw the fees for duplication as well as the delivery of the program.
The most important freedom of Linux, especially for programmers and network administrators, is the freedom to obtain the source code (source code) and the freedom to change it. This implies some important things.
Benefits Of Linux
1. Linux is a free and open operating system (open source). So no need to buy or license fee to use Linux, it's free.
2. easy to use Linux because linux Distro already supports a GUI (graphic user interface) and also user friendly.
3. Almost all of the applications found in the Windows, there are alternatives on Linux because of the many developer communities, such as sourceforge.net. , or when forced to we can run software for Windows on Linux with the help of emulators like Wine so that the file "exe" and ".msi" can execute.
4. Security tougher, because strong password protection.
5. Linux is relatively stable. Linux can be installed on low hardware spec. Old hardware can run well on Linux.
6. Linux has backward-compatibility better (better backwards-compatibilty). Hardware that has been aged for long, it is still very useful and can run well on top of Linux. In addition, never found documents that later cannot be read on an older version of Linux. On Windows, as if we are required to keep abreast of the development of the hardware, such as the case of the docx file (Word 2007-2010) that cannot be opened by Microsoft Word 2003 or a later version below.
7. support a diverse community and spread around the world.
8. other than Linux is free to use, free to be modified and redistributed. Even we can develop our own distro.
9. A selection. This could be the advantages or disadvantages. Many distributions have sprung up, popular examples like Ubuntu, Debian, RedHat, Fedora, openSuSe, Mandriva (Mandrake), etc. This diversity gives us a lot of options in accordance with individual needs, but on the one hand it will also confuse prospective Linux users. See the chart in the Linux distribution "http://distrowatch.com" to find out the rank of many Linux distributions.
10. Linux requires a smaller resource from Windows, making it suitable for a computer with the minimum specification. In addition almost all popular distro provides 32 bit version or 64 bit.