Linux is a Unix-based operating system created by Linus Torvalds, developed by the GNU General Public License. Linux are free or open-source is used or downloaded by computer users around the world, also referred to by the term FOSS (Free/Open Source Software).
Some advantages of Linux include:
Are Free or open-source
In contrast to the Windows operating system that is non-commercial, Linux operating system are free with no need serial key so that you need not fear is exposed to raids software especially for companies.
Security system on Linux is better than Windows. Most computer viruses cannot attack the Linux operating system. In addition to Linux running the process/command access is better than Windows.
Linux does not require much maintenance as well as Windows. Linux does not require facilities defragment etc.
A Solid Community
Linux has a solid community in cyberspace with the desire to share tips, feedback, ideas and creativity to each other with the ability to solve problems.
Minimal Crashes and errors
Linux operating system is very rare Crash or error such as Windows. Linux can not make your system unable as often found in Windows. Programs that run above the Linux is very stable.
File Format Support
Linux can read hundreds or many kinds of file formats such as Windows. If you always use the Office software such as Microsoft Office, then it can use other software like i.e. Open Office.
The Operating System On A Super Computer
Most of the super Computer using Linux as the operating system because of their stability and performance is excellent.
There are various features on the Linux operating system. Features of Linux operating systems are:
- Multitasking: some process in running at some point.
- Multiuser: several users on the same machine at one time.
- Multiplatform: Linux operating system running on many different CPU.
- Multiprocessor: supports SMP (Symmentric Multiprocessing) for intel and SPARC and other platforms.
- Protected mode: run on the intel x 86 proteceted mode.
- Meet the IEEE POSIX. 1: Linux is compatible with many standard UNIX source code level, the IEEE POSIX. 1 as well as the features system V and BSD.
- Memory protection: has the memory protection so that a bug in a program does not cause the entire program down.
- Demand Page Loaded Executable: Implementing demand paging loading the executable.
- Shared Copy on Write Pages Between Executables: many processes can use the same memory. When one program tries to write the memory. Page (4 Kb memory) different this new copied somewhere.
- Virtual Memory: Virtual memory using paging systems (disk-paging).
- Unified Memory Pool: Implement unified memory pool to a disk cache program.
- Dynamically Linked Shared Libraries: Implementing dynamically linked shared libraries.
- Post-Mortem Analysis for Debugging: allows using a debugger on the program not only during but also after the program runs the program crashes.
- ibcs2 binaries (iBCS2 binaries-complaint emulation module): with the emulation module meets the iBCS2 binaries, most compatible with the SCO, SVR3 and SVR4 binary level.
- Free source code: all existing source code available, including kernel and drivers, making it easier for program development.
- POSIX Job Control: used in csh shell and bash.
- Customized-Keyboard: keyboard Support from various countries.
- Multiple Virtual Consoles: several independent login session with the console.
- Supports Diverse File System: almost all file system can be implemented.
- Transparent access to the MS-DOS Partition: to access MS-DOS partitions are not required a special file system and also does not require special commands to use the MS-DOS partition.
- UMSDOS File system allows the Linux installed on MS-DOS.
- Implementation of TCP/IP Networking: TCP/IP for networking is complete enough.
- Support the HPFS file system-2 read only for OS/2.
- Supports the file systems HFS (Macintosh) as a separate module.
- Can read CD-ROM file system: can read a variety of files that are stored on the CD-ROM.
- There is on the Apple Talk Server.
- Can as a Netware Client and related to the Netware Server.
- Can as a LAN Manager Client.
- Fairly complete network protocol.